The City of San Marcos is waiving residential building permit fees and utility late fees and is placing a moratorium on utility disconnects for areas affected by the Memorial Day weekend floods.
The City’s Utility Customer Services Division is also waiving utility deposits and connection fees for existing utility customers who are displaced by the flooding, and city officials are expediting permits for repairing flood damage.
“Our goal is to provide 24-hour turnaround for flood-related repair permits,” said Shannon Mattingly, Director of Planning and Development Services. “Our Permit Center staff will give these requests top priority so people can quickly begin repairing their homes and rebuilding their lives.”
During the recovery process in San Marcos:
• No permit is required to remove affected sheetrock, carpet, appliances and/or belongings from your home.
• Homeowners may pull their own permits without a General Contractor if the home where work is being done is their homestead. All others (including commercial properties) will be required to use a licensed General Contractor.
• If the homeowner is not doing the electrical, mechanical and plumbing (MEP) work with their own hands, a licensed MEP must pull a trade permit to complete the work.
• Permit Fees will be waived for Residential homes in the affected areas of the City.
• All permitted work will be field verified for code compliance.
Permit information needs to include:
• Building Permit Application
• A Scope of Work with a rough drawing of the layout of your home
• Pictures that show the damage before repairs are made are also beneficial
For more flood related permitting information, call the Permit Center at 512.805.2630 or visit www.sanmarcostx.gov/smtxfloodpermits. A complete list of licensed residential and commercial General Contractors in San Marcos is also available on the webpage.
For information about utility payments, deposits or connection fees, or to make payment arrangements, contact the City of San Marcos Utility Customer Services Office at 512.393.8383.
Friday, June 5, 2015 7:49:00 AM